Tuesday, December 8, 2015

SOL #1

     
     BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! 

     We all jump. "That was us! That was totally us!" someone yells across the Kids Kitchen.  I leave my potato-egg mush (it would've been latkes, if the fire alarm hadn't stopped me) alone as everyone files out the door.
     As soon as I step outside I can see excitement and some fear on the little kids' faces. No one knew there would be a drill today. But it wasn't a drill. It was burning food.
     When the fire department leaves after giving us the all-clear, we go back to the Kitchen. Everyone looks kind of ashamed of themselves. We tried hard not to smoke up the room; opening doors, turning on fans. David tells us that it wasn't the smoke alarm in our room but the one in the next room over. We only have about five more minutes to clean up.
   
     No latkes for me.
   

10 comments:

  1. I like yer description. I was there, and this was a perty gud acct uf wut happend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fire drill stories are always the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, no latkes for Thea. I remember the shock of seeing people enter the MYG and the confusion. Nice description

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very shocking drill. I am sorry about the latkes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. POTATOES ARE COMING FOR US ALL...I mean sorry about the latkes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your first and last lines. Way to capture a unique moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha. The potatoes almost burned down the school! I like your different descriptions, like the excitement and fear on little kids faces. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love latkes. Nice description!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "We all jump." Perfect since that is what happens at every fire alarm. Kids shouting "That was us!" is also perfect. Nice slice and keep the smoke outta the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete